Author Topic: Religion and modern life  (Read 3544 times)

Offline laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Religion and modern life
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »
Are the big religions, who were founded thousands of years ago, adapted to modern life and have they managed to stay meaningful?

Personally I don't think so. I think that there are many challenges that we have today that are left out by the major religions, and this is helping to create unhealthy societies in which we seem to be living today. A striking example would be the environment. It is a major challenge today, yet it is completely left out by the religions I know. I don't know that many, of course, so feel free to contradict me, after all healthy discussion is what this site is for.

So I think that because the major religions don't address the problem directly, countless people don't consider the problem to be important in the cosmic scale of things. And I think that's a real problem. Certain people will spend much energy trying to fix problems that were mostly current thousands of years ago but will disregard important topics of today because they were not taken into account in the religious scriptures that they follow.

The problem seems to be really coming down to the dogmatic nature of religion. How can religion progress when society and the world change, and our understanding of the world, science and ourselves evolves? Does your religion change? Are there amendments done to the reference "book" over time?